WEB-ARTS presents Prints of Art works from the world's Galleries and Museums
You will be able to see the Print on this site and then visit the Gallery and see the original !
This page contains information about the Museum, major works of art and links to their official site
The National Gallery has Western European painting from 1260 to 1900, including works of van Eyck, Piero della Francesca, Botticelli,
Leonardo da Vinci, Bellini, Raphael, Cranach, Michelangelo, Holbein, Bronzino, Titian, Veronese, El Greco, Rubens, van Dyck, Poussin, Claude, Velazquez, Rembrandt, Vermeer, Gainsborough, Constable, Turner, Monet, Renoir, Cezanne, van Gogh and Seurat.
Founded in 1824 it was first opened in the home of John Julius Angerstein, a self-made financier, philanthropist and collector whose collection of the Old Master's formed the basis of the National Gallery. In 1838 the Gallery moved into purpose-built premises sharing the building with the Royal Academy. Gift, bequest and purchase enlarged the collection necessitating extensions to the building behind the east half of the original building, and later even more galleries were added.
From the beginning it was intended the Gallery be open to the public at large, parliament even insisting that children be allowed in because the poor had no servants or nursery maids to mind their children, and would not be able to come.
The modern National Gallery still continues to honor its original aims, admission to the permanent collection is still free and children are encouraged to come
Trafalgar Square, London WC2N 5DN
020 7747 2885
Hours: Mon-Sat 10-6 Sun 2-6 closed good Friday, dec 24, 25, and Jan 1
Getting there: Underground Charing Cross or Leicester Square. Bus 3,6,9,11,12,13,15,23,24,29,53,88,91,94,109
London's greatest collection of
European paintings is in the
National Gallery. From medieval
to Renaissance to Impressionist,
you can tour the
of European art without ever
crossing the Channel.
from YOU TUBE
Notable works of Art at the National Gallery include:
Antonello da Messina: Saint Jerome in his Study Avercamp: A Scene on the Ice Near a Town Sandro BOTTICELLI
- Venus and Mars Beccafumi: Tanaquil, Wife of Lucomo Bronzino: An Allegory of Venus and Cupid Campin: The Virgin and Child before a Fire-screen Giovanni CANALETTO: The Bucintoro Preparing to Leave the Molo on Ascension Day Carracci: Christ Appearing to Saint Peter on the Appian Way Chardin: The Young Schoolmistress Cuyp: Cattle with Horseman and Peasants Van Dyck: Charles I on Horseback Jan van EYCK
- Ghent Altarpiece Jan van EYCK
- Anolfini Wedding Thomas GAINSBOROUGH: Mr and Mrs Andrews Vincent VAN GOGH: Sunflowers Guardi: An Architectural Caprice Hals: Portrait of a Young Man with a Skull William HOGARTH: Breakfast Scene, from Marriage a la Mode Hans HOLBEIN the younger: The Ambassadors Kalf: Still Life with Lobster, Drinking Horn and Glasses Lancret: A Lady and a Gentleman with Two Girls in a Garden Longhi: Exhibition of a Rhinoceros at Venice Lotto: A Lady as Lucretia Mantegna: The Agony in the Garden Metsu: The Music Lesson Claude MONET: Waterlily Pond Patenier: Saint Jerome in a Rocky Landscape Piero della Francesca: The Baptism of Christ Pollaiuolo: Apollo and Daphne
Piero della Francesca- Adoration of the Shepherds
Wilton Diptych Leonardo DA VINCI
- The Virgin and Saint Ann with the Christ Child and the Young John the Baptist Hans HOLBEIN the younger
- The Ambassadors Jacob REMBRANDT
- Woman Bathing Peter Paul RUBENS
- Portrait of Susann Lunden (Woman in a Straw Hat) Peter Paul RUBENS
- Autumn Valley Rosa: Self-portrait Peter Paul RUBENS: The Judgement of Paris Sassetta: Saint Francis of Assisi Renouncing his Earthly Father Savery: Orpheus George SEURAT
- Bathers at Asnieres TITIAN
- Bacchus and Ariadne William TURNER
- Rain, Steam and Speed - the Great Western Railway Paola UCCELLO
- Battle of San Romano Jan VERMEER: Lady Seated at a Virginal Diego de silva VELAZQUEZ
- The Rokeby Venus/